Forum home The potting shed

Unexpected gadgets?

FireFire LondonPosts: 12,163
Are there unexpected gadgets in the home that you find you love? The kind of thing you would never guess would be delightful or so useful, but that you now use often? I'm interested to discover your gadget secrets.

• StephenSouthwestStephenSouthwest Southwest EnglandPosts: 298
    I do enjoy the moisture meter for the woodburner logs, slightly obsessively interested in the behaviour of the V2G charger, love the ecofans on the woodburners...
    ...but my current favourite gadgety gadget is a star shaped potato masher - looking at it you wouldn't think it would work, but it makes great mash!
  • I loved my ThermPro Thermometer/Humidity reader so much i bought one for every room that has plants. I can't help checking them every time i enter a room.
    Maybe i have OCD!  :D
    Sunny Dundee
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 3,284
    My 15(?) year old electric shaver packed up the other day so I bought a new one, another Panasonic. The difference in performance is astonishing.

I also love my pocket sized torch, an expensive Christmas present from my wife a few years ago with a beam of impressive length. An added bonus, though not so at the time, was that the original purchase was a dud one and, compressing a long story here, consequently I later got to feature on the BBC programme ‘Fake Britain’.

On the interplay of gadgetry and witchcraft I like the low fuel indicator in my car. Not only does it flash a message, it brings up a map showing the location of all nearby filling stations and, get this, it also gives petrol prices.

At the opposite end of the technology spectrum I like dosette boxes - so simple, so effective. There’s one for my wife and one for the cats. The only problem is the spelling of the word - the permutation of letters s, t and e give about 60 possibilities.

• UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 778
    After the power cut recently I was fed up with not being able to read properly so I bought a neck torch. I think it's great and I've used it for various jobs that needed extra light since. I showed it to a friend who thought it was a great piece of kit so I bought him one too as a thank you for a favour he'd done for me and now he's bought one for his grandson for Christmas. 
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 12,163
    ooo, I've not seen a star shaped potato masher @StephenSouthwest

@BenCotto "dosette" is my new word of the day! Thanks for that. "Your cats have a dosette box" is somehow quite a mindblowing sentence. And you have a crazy super-car! Witchcraft indeed.

@uff - I've never heard of a 'neck torch' before either. I'm clearly not living in the modern world. But all this is exactly why I asked my question and started the thread. I am the proud owner of a Coast HP7R usb torch, I think I saw it recommended on the forum and took the plunge. I use it most days. It's the best thing ever and it gives me a thrill that I can plug it in to recharge. You can probably do that will all modern torch designs these days, but the idea was new to me. I suspect you could drop it of K2 and it would be fine.

@Balgay.Hill oh, I love my Humidity reader. I'm a bit obessive about it too and might get another. It's so entirely useful.

I guess these things are always a bit of a punt - we never know how they will fit for us, if they will turn out to be a bit of tat that lives in a cupboard. I'm always quietly amazed when something turns out to be useful or thrilling and changes our life slightly.

This is the neck torch Fire, the black legs are bendable so can be bent to fit whatever task you are doing but leave your hands free. Nice and light too. Your torch looks terrific.

I'd like to ask you all a question please? Does anyone know of a lantern type of light that is rechargable and that is left plugged into a socket so that if a power cut occurs the light comes on and continues until the battery is used up? My brother in law had one years ago and it was rarely used but handy in case of a power cut. I've searched the internet but not come across one yet. 

• FireFire LondonPosts: 12,163
    Is it wrong for me to be excited by a neck torch? :D
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 19,281
    About forty years ago, in a moment of madness, I bought a jar opener. This was in the days when my hands were strong (for a woman) and jars were not as tamper-proof as they are now. Having bought it, I never needed it and it lay in the drawer unused. I often wondered what had come over me on that day in the shop.

But now, with weedy hands and with modern jars and bottles causing my eyes to pop when I try to open them, I have found it invaluable. It’s a lot simpler in design than a lot of the new ones. Here is a photo of a similar one that I found mentioned in an American museum!

But this school wouldn’t have needed one when they put together the Christmas lunch for the kids......

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
    Fire said:
    Is it wrong for me to be excited by a neck torch? :D
    Actually, I like an excuse to wear mine :o S'truth I'm a sad soul. Mind you it's better than balancing 2 battery operated candles on my bosoms when I'm lying in bed reading. Picture that if you can!
  • B3B3 Posts: 19,966
    I don't think I have any gadgets😕
    In London. Keen but lazy.