Forum home Problem solving

Frustrated with lawn

So after repairing my lawn again this year and thought it looked ok. I have it a treatment of nematodes in September after a horrific scene of crane flies but yet again I'm losing it. I did see what looked like dead leather jackets on the surface so assumed it was ok.

This is it in October with a random burrowed hole that appeared and never got to the bottom of it. And again a picture of it now. The burrowed hole seems bigger and I don't know if it's leather jackets or just bad drainage.

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 9,656
    That looks like very bad drainage but I'm afraid I don't know what the remedy would be, expensive probably.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,496
    I’m wondering if there’s been a lot of wormcasts this autumn on the end of the lawn nearest the camera. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Lizzie27 said:
    That looks like very bad drainage but I'm afraid I don't know what the remedy would be, expensive probably.
    That's what I've been thinking as I like to think it can't be leather jackets.

I know the soil is clay and last year when I redid it I found lots of plastic bin liners underneath so assumed that was stopping the drainage. It seemed better but we are back here again. The seed is also supposed to be clay specific. I know the neighbour also comments on how wet is his by I guess because it's been down longer, it's more tolerant.

I'm kinda fed up of this ever year and will probably end up reseeding again in the autumn but then I think the alternative of slabbing, decking or fake grass will be expensive as well
    What is your lawn-care regime?
    How often/when do you mow it in the growing season?  It looks like a very young lawn that has not been mown often enough to promote tillering sideways growth. 
    As I asked earlier … have you noticed wormcasts on the lawn?

As for the hole … is it a new hole that has reappeared after repairing, or have you not repaired it?  it looks like rodent damage to me. Do you have rats in the area?  

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,198
    Looks like a rodent to me too. 
    That general area shows signs of being very badly drained. If you want grass, you may have to dig down in that area and put in  proper drainage, ie a French drain.
    At least it's only a small area to do, so shouldn't be too difficult, but if you have clay soil, and shade, I'm afraid the prep, before seeding or turfing, is key to successful drainage. That means improving the soil very thoroughly several months in advance of that.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• The hole appeared in October and although I did fill it in with sand, it appeared a few weeks later. 

I probably mow it once a week during the summer and don't go tight.

The whole lawn is thining out but that side near the camera is always the worst
    Which way does the garden face?  How much sun does it get?

Wormcasts?

• North facing and not much in the winter which is why I think the camera side is the worst.

Sorry I don't know what wormcasts are
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,198
    edited December 2021
    They're the excretions of worms, and often seen on lawn surfaces. It shows you have worms working away. Harmless  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Can't say I've seen anything. It was last treated by the guys that treat it quarterly in September I think and without looking at the report I think it was basically moss and greening treatment