Forum home Plants

Box hedge alternative??

adam.mgadam.mg Posts: 20
edited December 2021 in Plants
My garden is bordered by 100 year old box hedges, up to about 15 foot high in places (its a cloud hedge). It's beautiful.

I need to fill a gap in the hedge, but cannot afford to put in large box (as i have filled one gap with box, and it was £££ - and despite being remote, I'm concerned about blight etc).

One small section is yew, but my wife does not want to put in more yew. What would you suggest? I find Lonicera Nitida too homogenous in colour/tone when in a hedge above 5ft.

The hedge needs to reach 5 - 6ft. Is there really any replacement for Buxus Semperivens??

• UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 1,698
    How about Ilex Crenata? It could be topiaried (is that a word) in the middle of the hedge to make a feature. We took the box out of the large garden where I'm a volunteer because of blight and have planted the Ilex as a parterre. 
  • PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 2,181
    edited December 2021
    ilex crenata is the ideal replacement but will take an age to reach 5ft or cost a fortune its dearer than box . Can't think of many myself ? Other varieties of holly a few to look into ? Osmanthus burkwood possibly or other osmanthus they is one but I can't remember the name . I'd probably look into pittosporum the bob standard tenuifolum or privet , pittosporum aren't cheap though 
  • UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 1,698
    There are some still in pots at the said garden that is excess to what was needed and they are about 3ft plus tall now, started out about 12ins two years ago. They are bushing out nicely too. They aren't fussy either. Bare root at this time of year would be cheaper if they can be found. A bonus is that they take easily from cuttings so stock could be acquired to use if needed.