Forum home Plants

Planting a new clematis in an old clematis spot

NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 5,679
It was quite a job getting the old one out and although I’ve got the bulk of it out there are still lots of small broken root bits in the soil. Will these present a problem for the newbie or do I need to sift the soil to remove them all? I don’t think there is such a thing as clematis replant disease, but would the rotting bits of root be more likely to cause fungal diseases/wilt or some such? Both Group 3 if that’s relevant. TIA

• PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 2,184
    edited December 2021
    I'd be more curious why the last clematis died Nollie ? The roots aren't a problem they break down like everything else unless the previous clematis died of a disease . The group 3 are very sturdy plants which don't succumb to disease as easily as group 2 for example. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,463
    I've not heard of any problem with replanting in the same area either.
    As @Perki says though, what was the reason for the other one failing?
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 5,679
    Hi @Perki and @Fairygirl, the previous occupant, Warsawska Nike, was perfectly attractive and healthy but just too well behaved. I wanted a more vigorous one to cover a large expanse of wall and compete with a wisteria, so have got an Etoile Violette for there instead.

So no rooty problems then? Good to know, thanks!
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,463
    E.V is a good choice. It's easy and a good doer  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,632
    I would have thought that, in a pot, even Etoile Violette would be well behaved unless you can water it every day from mid spring and feed it weekly.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,444
    I don't think Nollie's clematis is in a pot, @Obelixx...
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 5,679
    I’m hoping so @Fairygirl. I hear it’s plenty vigorous so in time should cover the wall better. It’s also listed as more heat tolerant than the former occupant, always a plus here. WN did well enough in that respect but will be better suited to an obelisk, I think. Have improved the soil, planted deep and watered in well - yes in the ground, not a pot 😊
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,632
    Sorry, for some reason I thought it was a pot.   In the ground, with good soil and adequate watering in dry spells, Etoile Violette will just get better year on year.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw