Forum home Problem solving

Brown spots on rosemary stems?

I noticed some brown spots on the stems of my rosemary plants. The plants are about a year old. Does anyone recognise what this is? I wondered if its a fungal problem or if maybe its the stems getting woodier? 

• PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,443
    I'm not sure what's going on, but I don't like the look of that compost, can you say a bit more about how you are keeping the plants? Also, rosemary is hardy and better outdoors in the soil so that could be the cause of the problem.
  • If I remember correctly the compost is a mix of John Innes no 2 and horticultural grit with a little bit of seed starting soil too. This photo was taken just before I gave them a drink as they were a bit dry. Theyve been fine in this mix so far. I keep them on a south facing windowsill(I know they prefer living outside but I dont have the means for that so they'll have to live on a windowsill with my other herbs).
  • They need poor, gritty compost, very little water, light and air. At least part of the problem is likely to be that they are so deep in those pots that the stems are surrounded by moist, stagnant air. They would be better in smaller pots planted to the right depth. You are probably over-watering too. The leaves shouldn't be that bright green, they should be dark, bluish green with a grey or silver sheen.
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,443
    Is it possible that there are extreme temperature variations? Are the other plants looking ok?