Forum home Problem solving

Lawn v cats

I put down this lawn in October, problem CATS using it has a toilet, I see lots of things on line to deter them but not sure what to go for, anyone got any tips. Thanks and have a great Christmas. 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,179
    I use the water scarecrow, which is effective, but there are drawbacks. No use as soon as there's frost, because the connections burst, so I can't use it for around 5 or 6 months of the year. Not great in a front garden where it affects anyone coming and going. You need more of them if it's larger area too, although your space would be fine with one.
    I recently got a sonic doodah, which was recommended by a forum member. The Voss 2000. I'm yet to be totally convinced, but there was a spell when the batteries had gone, and I hadn't noticed, so I'm persevering with it,  as it's an ongoing, relentless plague round here. 
    You have my sympathy. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,064
    Try a Water Scarecrow - you need an outside tap and a good quality hosepipe to which you attach the device.  When it senses a cat, dog, heron, fox, badger it sets off a spray of water and they move on.   You need to move the sensor occasionally so they don't learn the trigger point and do make sure it won't get the postman.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • I bought a 'Super Soaker' water gun and blasted any cats that came into the garden. It seemed to work so i gave it to my elderly parents to use. Unfortunately they didn't have the strength to use it.
    Anything that moves them on will help, but it's a constant battle.
    Sunny Dundee
  • NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,808
    I know this sounds weird but it works.

If you can approach a cat without scaring it you can then stare at it for about 30 to 40 seconds and then watch its reaction.

They get unsettled and run off and next time they see you they remember you and the bad experience.

Its not a joke.
    Everyone is just trying to be Happy.....So lets help Them.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,179
    I expect if you had nothing else to do, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, but stare at cats  @NewBoy2, that might be the case, but most people don't have the time or the inclination. Understandably    :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 32,397
    another £1 for me?
    Devon.
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,422
    Jack Russell?
  • LunarSeaLunarSea Cheshire / Derbyshire borderPosts: 657
    You need a well trained one of these. They don't like cats in their garden!

• PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,422
    Now that IS a pretty cat!
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 7,902
    That IS a pretty cat. Was just writing your cheque out Hosta! I found the only thing that works is having your own cat. Are you absolutely sure it's not dogs?