Forum home Problem solving

Another fungi ID please

UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 2,178
Can someone ID this fungi please? A friend has sent me this picture, taken this morning, not a very good one and I can ask for a better one for a positive ID if it helps. As you can see it's growing in leaf litter, it has gills. 

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,550
    So much depends on size, whether there is ring around the stem, the smell of the flesh, whether the flesh changes colour when bruised, the colour of the spore print etc.

One possibility is the Agaricus group of mushrooms and the particular one called Agaricus silvicola but I wouldn’t put money on it from a couple of photos.🙂
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Put the photo on iSpot.
    They are brilliant at finding the answer.
  • UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 2,178
    I've never heard of iSpot bertrand-mabel, I'll look that up. I feel quite confident that there are one or two members here who will identify it. 
  • steephillsteephill Posts: 2,479
    In addition to the features @pansyface mentions a photo showing the underside of the cap and gills would help. A useful identification feature is how the gills attach to the stem.
    Thanks all. I've asked for another pic of the underside and asked the questions. 
    Here's another picture but still not sure it's good enough for an ID. She has some woodland at the back of her garden and it looks as though the fungi is in there going by the pine needles.

• steephillsteephill Posts: 2,479
    Bit of a long shot but it might be Ampulloclitocybe clavipes - Club foot funnel cap.
    It looks like it steephill, thank you. I assume that as the cap ages it becomes funnel shaped? I think I'll try and get down to hers to have a better look and take more pics this week and then get back to this thread. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,198
    Yeh - not too many 'humid forests' in southern Scotland @indogulfbioagmarketingvLsw1UC2.....
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

edited December 2021
    I try to find out this fungus but couldn't find anything about this. I think it might be relatable to Sphaeropsis Cytospora fungus which is found in many humid forests.
    No nothing like that at all but thank you. What you mention is a type of canker not a fungi  ;)