Forum home Problem solving

Repair stone composite planter advice

davebettzdavebettz Posts: 84
edited December 2021 in Problem solving
Hi after some advice I can get a few cheap planters from a friend but one side has a crack would this be repairable? 

There quite heavy planters a shame to be thrown away. 

• What are the planters made from ?  There are various "glues" but you would need to choose one appropriate to the construction material for the best result.
  • What are the planters made from ?  There are various "glues" but you would need to choose one appropriate to the construction material for the best result.
    We don't know friend just said composite stone they are quite heavy so not plastic
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,480
    It might be something @lyn could advise on. 
    😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,195
    They look like those resin ones that mimic lead terracotta  or stone etc.
    Gorilla glue would do the job though.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Fairygirl said:
    They look like those resin ones that mimic lead terracotta  or stone etc.
    Gorilla glue would do the job though.  :)
    Have so far looked into using P38 or epoxy resin but having never used either I'm a little nervous, I can always buy a anthracite spray to colour match
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,083
    If it's just a crack you want to fill then Polyfiller External or Toupret (which is has a finer finish) should work to fill it, but you'd need to paint it after.

I snapped a big lump off of a concrete planter. I used a whole tube of superglue and it has worked well. Still good after about 5-6 years - and I don't use it as a lever when digging out last years plants with a spade anymore - lesson learned :)
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • davebettzdavebettz Posts: 84
    edited December 2021
    Pete.8 said:
    If it's just a crack you want to fill then Polyfiller External or Toupret (which is has a finer finish) should work to fill it, but you'd need to paint it after.

I snapped a big lump off of a concrete planter. I used a whole tube of superglue and it has worked well. Still good after about 5-6 years - and I don't use it as a lever when digging out last years plants with a spade anymore - lesson learned :)
    I have toupret great stuff but I think it's just the interior one.

https://www.toolstation.com/toupret-murex-exterior-filler/p72427 
  • Pete.8 said:
    Thank you I'm torn between this resin or epoxy  :s
    I can imagine a  mineral-based filler like Toupret would bond easily with the stone composite.
    I don't know how well epoxy resin bonds with stone composite - it may be fine.
    I've used 2-pack epoxy glues many times over the years and it's good stuff, but never used it as a filler.