Forum home Plants

Gladiolus murieale

I bought some Gladiolus murieale for the first time earlier this year I put them in pots of gritty compost and put them in the sunniest place I could. They had a lot of leaves but not many flowers.

I have now put the pots in a cold greenhouse for the winter but not sure what to do now, should I cut the leaves off & tidy up? Or take them out of the pots & dry the corms? or just leave them as they are in the pots to hopefully flower next year?

Some info says treat them as annuals and buy new each year while other says to over winter them but doesn’t say how? 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,171
    I treat them as annuals. Even undercover here they don't tend to do well - I'd need to remove them and keep them in the house somewhere. They stay  too damp otherwise.
    However, I think some people do over winter them successfully if their greenhouses are warm/dry enough. 
    You would normally let the foliage die back, as with any other bulb, with maybe the odd feed at the same time to help the bulbs along.
    I wonder if your bulbs weren't mature enough to flower well? They do need protection until it's warm enough to plant them out too.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 5,623
    Depends where you are/lowest temps your cold greenhouse gets but I would also leave them to die back on their own before tidying them up and wrap the pots in fleece or bubblewrap to be on the safe side. Mine have survived repeated winter frosts planted deep in the ground for several years, often lower than -5c, but I suspect they will be more vulnerable to freezing and turning to mush in a pot.

They are lovely but I don’t find them the most floriferous of bulbs even here with my hot summers, there is a lot of tall leafy growth for such delicate flowers. I think you need a big mass of them tucked behind something else for impact!