Forum home Problem solving

Is my brighamia dead?

YnneadYnnead LondonPosts: 199
Hi so my brighamia palm dropped all of its leaves due to underwatering if the stem is anything to go by. Its stem is sold and not soft. Still green but been like this for a few months. Is it likely to recover? The roots are good. I did water from below and the pot feels heavy so dont think watering will help.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,074
    As I understand it these things do go dormant for a couple of months and shed all their leaves so I would keep watering it just once a week.  Make sure all the compost is wetted and not just a dribble and then let it drain completely.  Give it a liquid feed once a month.

Check occasionally for roots coming out of the bottom of the pot as that means it needs re-potting.   Give it a bright position in a spot sheltered from draughts and don't let it get cold.  It's from Hawaii.    
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • YnneadYnnead LondonPosts: 199
    Thanks. I was so worried about overwatering I underwatered. Hopefully it will recover.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,074
    The easiest way to water thoroughly and without drowning is to dunk - as long as the pot is smaller than your best bucket!

Assuming that is so, fill a bucket with water and slowly dunk your pot in it to full depth and until no more air bubbles appear.  Then remove it and leave to rain completely before putting it back in its saucer or decorative pot.  That way you ensure all the compost and roots have been wetted but also not left sitting in excess water and rotting.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw