Forum home Problem solving

Propagator Query

Hi all, I'm considering investing in a propagator for the coming season. Anyone got any insight into a good make/model to purchase? I've never had or used on before so am "green" to this bit of gardening.
Thanks,
John.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 8,574
    Hi John
    I have a Vitapod propagator that I've had for about 5 years now in my unheated greenhouse and am very pleased with it.
    I know others on the forum have the same and have posted positive comments on them too.
    They are available with grow lights now, but I have no need as I don't sow anything until late Feb and by the time they have germinated the sun is getting stronger to stop them getting leggy.

I also 'made' a 4ft heated propagator too that has good headroom.
    I think the components cost around £100 - I can post details if you'd like me to.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • I agree that the Vitapod propagator is very good, especially with the height extension as then it is really useful for rooting cuttings all year round and even growing on small tomato plants etc.  On the other hand it is quite expensive and if you just need something smaller to germinate a few seeds in the spring there are some reasonable and cheaper alternatives, although if you get one with a thermostat it is more versatile.  I still use an old one I bought in 1976 for germinating seeds in the house and it works well; I transfer them to a lighter position or the other propagator in the greenhouse as soon as they start to grow. Check what size you need first as the larger Vitapod takes up uite a lot of space.
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,231
    I think it is worth saying that if you wish to germinate seed early, you will have to have somewhere warm to grow them on. I went a bit mad when I got my very modest propagator and ended up with lots of tender seedlings I just couldn't keep warm enough to thrive. A painful lesson. So you will only need a huge propagator if you can provide for the seedlings.
  • Thanks for the advice folks. Appreciate it.
    J.
  • PlantmindedPlantminded WirralPosts: 1,030
    Hi @johnjosephmcbride, I'm interested to know what you decided and if you are pleased with your choice.  Thank you.
  • Hi Plantminded, sorry for not replying sooner, but only check in here every now and again. Due to the limited space I have, I went for the Garland Super 7 Propagator. It's a super piece of gear. I started some tomatoes the other week and they're flying already. It has 7 individual small propagators which is great for a variety of seeds. Also, pleased to see this site singing its praises. I looked into some of the ones advised by respondents, but budget and space made me decide on this one. Highly recommend after my first use!
  • Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,258
    Excellent choice. I've had a super 7 for yrs, wouldn't be without it.