Forum home Problem solving

Damaged potatoes

ive been trying to grow some potatoes for Christmas, however after last weeks heavy snow, cold weather and strong winds I was wondering whether I should dig these up or leave them. I read online that frost damaged plants can send up new shoots within 10/14 days however I’m not sure that’s the case with these.

thanks

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,337
    I don't think you'll get much out of those - 'Christmas' potatoes need to be grown under cover, ideally in a greenhouse, as potatoes are not at all tolerant of frost.  You might be lucky and find some little ones, but the tubers won't grow any further now, even if new shoots do appear as the next frost will kill those too.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • I don't think you'll get much out of those - 'Christmas' potatoes need to be grown under cover, ideally in a greenhouse, as potatoes are not at all tolerant of frost.  You might be lucky and find some little ones, but the tubers won't grow any further now, even if new shoots do appear as the next frost will kill those too.
    Yeah, thanks, I’ve actually got ssome decent sized ones, 4 or 5 about 5/6 inches from one bag and I’m yet to take out these two so not bad I suppose for being grown in the north in the winter. It was always a gamble! I’ll dig these two and see if I get anything substantial from these
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 5,314
    Oh well it was worth a try.  Sometimes you get away with it,  but Bob is right,  they don't cope at all well with frost. 
    AB Still learning