Forum home Plants

4.5L container fig tree - pot up slowly or pot straight into large planter?

puschkiniapuschkinia BrightonPosts: 143
Hi everyone, I just received my Christmas present early - a beautiful Brown Turkey fig tree :D I have a container for it - a 40cm x 40cm x 44cm planter (https://www.primrose.co.uk/h43cm-classic-planter-nutmeg-p-132707.html), but the tree is still small. It arrived in a 4.5L pot.

Do you think I'd be ok planting the fig straight into the planter, or shall I pot it into something smaller first and move up gradually?

• WonkyWombleWonkyWomble Posts: 4,024
    I'm not a fig expert and the fig I got was a large unwanted one....I know... crazy! Who doesn't want a dog tree???
    Any way I think in your position I'd  put it in a slightly larger pot then plant that pot in the planter for effect,  it would also keep the roots that bit warmer. 😉 
  • I'm not a fig expert and the fig I got was a large unwanted one....I know... crazy! Who doesn't want a dog tree???

Dog tree? 
    I'm confused.
    Never heard of fig called a dog tree.

Dog wood...yes...that is Cornus.
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • WonkyWombleWonkyWomble Posts: 4,024
    Lol those spellchecker gremlins!!
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,481
    😂 @WonkyWomble

When we first got our Brown Turkey fig we bought a lovely large square terracotta container and half filled it with large chunks of polystyrene before putting in a mix of JI3 and horticultural grit and planting the fig. A couple of years later we removed half the polystyrene and added more of the compost mix and a couple of years later we removed it all. It worked for us. 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• puschkiniapuschkinia BrightonPosts: 143
    Thanks @WonkyWomble & @Dovefromabove - really helpful. I'll keep it in a smaller space for now. Love the idea of polystyrene! It'll require buying some though, so for now I'll go for a smaller plastic pot held in the planter :)
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,336
    All trees are potential 'dog trees', as long as they can get close enough!
    In fact, trees are all already 'owned' by one or more local dogs, at least as far as they are concerned! :D
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • No need to buy polystyrene. If you scout around the back of electrical shops there is usually plenty stacked up waiting to go to recycling.

My neighbour has an old, fruiting Brown Turkey fig tree but because they do not like figs *he who knows everything* just cuts it down hard every few years. What a waste! His philosophy on gardening is, stick it in the ground and let it get on with it. No  comment other than, each to his own.