Forum home Problem solving

Sandstone paving question - how to remove scuffs

Hi there

I'm considering sandstone paving slabs for my front garden.  I purchased one to sample it but noticed that most of the paving available in the garden centre had varying degrees of what appear to be scuff marks on them, possibly as a consequence of the slabs being stored against one another.  I bought one which wasn't bad mark wise (see attached), but before I go ahead and purchase more, I wanted to ask the forum if it is possible to remove these marks.  A Google search comes up with using water and two different sandpaper grains.  I've still to try.

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 9,674
    I wouldn't worry too much about them. Once laid, walked and rained on, it will soon weather in and won't be so noticeable. Be warned, if the area is at all shady, you will get algae on it as well.
  • Thanks.  My front garden is south facing so hopefully algae wouldn't be making an appearance, fingers crossed, although being in Scotland I can't be so sure.
  • AstraeusAstraeus SheffieldPosts: 299
    Lots of the slabs we laid had that exact same scuffing, and it is from how they've been laid against one another. We put them down, hosed them off and ne'er a scuff seen again. Don't worry about it.
  • Thanks for the reassurance, Astraeus.