Forum home The potting shed

Suggestions for a new project appreciated

UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 778
I've just acquired an old galvanized water tank and would appreciate suggestions on making a feature out of it. It looks to be waterproof despite the rust but as I have a small pond I wouldn't necessarily want to make another. I wouldn't mind drilling holes for drainage. Just planting it up with flowers doesn't seem very imaginative. I'm thinking it could be an interesting winter project and lots of heads could come up with some good ideas, please.
My garden isn't a modern one as I live in a cottage.

Size is 23'' x 17'' and 16'' deep.

• floraliesfloralies Haute-Garonne SW FrancePosts: 1,596
    A water feature perhaps?
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 42,382
    I'm not sure there is much else you can use it for in a garden, if you don't want it as a pond or for planting into! 
    The only other thing I can think of is to level off the top in some way, and have a sundial, or similar, on it. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 778
    Mmm I won't say it's a problem as I daresay something will crop up that it would be useful for. I have another one that is the same shape but half as big. It would be good to use both of them for the same project. The only thing that comes to mind is as floralies says - a water feature but I already have an old fashioned water pump going into a half barrel.
  • LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 3,547
    I have raspberries growing in one, because I didn't want them to spread too far. They're fine, but it probably wasn't the best use of it as they're shallow rooted so not making the most of the depth. I wish I'd stuck with my original plan of rhubarb. 
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 8,524
    Outdoor coffee table?
    Well yes, Lizzie. I'd not thought about that and if something else springs to mind there could be a change of use. 
  • B3B3 Posts: 19,966
    I would put soil in the big one and put the smaller one on top and plant whatever takes your fancy to cascade over it
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Drill ventilation holes in the sides and use it as a firebox in the centre of a seating area. You could paint the outside with heat resistant paint.
    Sunny Dundee
  • WonkyWombleWonkyWomble Posts: 3,880
    I got given one exactly the same.  The homemade wooden planter that I had my brown turkey fig tree in was rotting so I replanted it in the water tank! Looks great and will contain the roots sufficiently. Already had rusty drainage holes so it was ready to go!
    Some really good ideas so far, any of which would be great, thank you. What part of the UK are you WonkyWomble, north, south, east or west Thinking that the roots might get a bit chilled up here. Having said that the large tank could be lined with Kingspan insulation or similar.