Forum home Plants

Am I too late? Honey garlic/anemones/lily of the valley

Hi,

Life got away from me and I haven't had time to plant these bulbs and tubers (?).
Is it too late?  will they be any good next year if I keep them cold and in the dark. I have small cold frame.but not enough space to pant all the material in pots.

I'm frustrated I couldn't do it earlier...they are my favourites and I would have loved to see if anything came if them in Spring :(

(In West Yorkshire and it's pretty cold)

• PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,231
    Lily of the valley are almost indestructible in my experience but I can't imagine them in containers, they just spread and spread. I would wait for a milder moment and get them in the ground.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,457
    They won't appreciate being stored. They'll either rot or dry out. Either plant them [labelled] or pot them up and put them outside somewhere.  :)
    Some anemones are much fussier than others, so it'll depend on which ones you have, as to whether they'll grow well. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,161
    Keeping them dry until next autumn planting time won't work. if you get them all planted, there's at least a chance that they'll come up in the spring. The lily-of-the-valley wouldn't need to be in a cold frame if you planted it in pots - it's tough stuff. Better in the ground though, somewhere with room for it to spread.
  • A tip for planting lily of the valley. They seem to grow their roots horizontally, however, when you plant them. Put some of the longer roots straight down into a deep hole. I had some growing in a long thumb pot, taller pot than usual, and they did well. I had tried growing them several times, spreading all of the roots horizontally, and each time they died off.