Forum home Plants

Views on flowering mimosa tree please ?

im attracted to the idea of planting one in the garden as they flower in jan- mar when things are dull. Having researched a bit I’m torn though as there seems to be a bit of bad press about re their invasive nature and prospective success in the uk through the winter. I’m also unsure how long before I would see the lovely yellow flowers ? Any thoughts positive or negative ? Tia mike

• Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 3,716
    edited December 2021
    Having researched a bit I’m torn though as there seems to be a bit of bad press about re their invasive nature 
    Yes Acacia  can be invasive.
    But only in hot countries.
    May I suggest you recheck info re aggressive /invasive nature.

May be killed in a cold winter.

https://herbaria.plants.ox.ac.uk/bol/plants400/Profiles/ab/Acacia

https://www.rhsplants.co.uk/plants/_/acacia-dealbata/classid.2000032100/
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,630
    We have inherited 2 in this garden, bought 5.5 years ago and I really dislike them.

Glaucous blue-green foliage 52 weeks of the year.  Garish contrasting acid yellow flowers for a couple of weeks in winter then nasty brown as they fade and die.  They seed and sucker with abandon too.  

We've raised the crowns on both to lighten them but it's a constant battle keeping on top of suckers and seedlings.

Horrid things.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • ErgatesErgates Devon, east of ExeterPosts: 1,508
    We planted one in the front garden a couple of years ago, and it’s doing well. I love them! There is a mature specimen in a garden nearby, and the perfume from the flowers is amazing, scents the whole lane. So far, no sign of suckers, but it’s in a very visible and accessible place, so hopefully I will be able to keep it under control.
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,231
    I love them but I can't grow them here because my garden is very windswept. They really don't cope with a windy site.
  • Thank you for your replies folks. Think I will probably leave it unless I go for a large pot.
  • I've got one I've grown from a baby and it's now in a fairly large pot. It lives in the GH except in the summer, but has not flowered so far. I got it because I remembered my mum buying bunches of the flowers when I was a child and they were so pretty and sweet smelling.
    I think the leaves are pretty too  and I love the way the leaflets close up at the end of the day and re-open in the morning  :) I'll keep it as long as I can, as I enjoy trying  one or two new plants that couldn't survive outside here. I've got a nice Lantana that does flower and it really loved the hot weather we had this last summer.
  • I've got one and I'm a bit meh about it in truth. It does put on an amazing display when it flowers but it's lost a little in the background the rest of the time. If it's your kind of plant then go for it, mine has never caused any bother it's just my taste in plants has changed since I got it and now would prefer something native (but I'm equally not going to dig up a healthy tree to replace it with another).

If you have a shady spot for a shrub then a mahonia gives a similar flower display at a similar time, if you choose your variety correctly if not you can get the show before Christmas, plus it's a good plant for an awkward place.  
  • 2000GTV2000GTV Martina Franca, Puglia, southern ItalyPosts: 68
    We inherited one in our garden here. I really like it but we were resigned to losing it when the trunk split during a storm. It was staked and tied and continues to happily grow and flower.  

"In Italy the holiday is known as La Festa della Donna. The Mimosa flower which blooms at this time of year has become a universal symbol and is given to women on March 8th. Giving mimosa flowers on March 8th is not considered a romantic gesture but one of solidarity." 
    Love living in Italy but a Loiner at heart 
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,630
    Mine flower in Jan/Feb so way too early and all gone by March 8th.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • A very large mimosa tree used to grow in a garden I drove past regularly. It was stunning when in flower. I have no idea how old it was but it has disappeared, no idea what happened to it. I still miss it. I have tried growing one two or three times but have never succeeded, indoors and out. They should grow well down here in Cornwall except we do have a lot of gales, maybe that is why not many are seen.