Forum home Plants

Overwintering alstroemerias in a bed

I have some alstroemerias planted in a bed. I have never grown them before. Most advice is to put a mulch on them. Do I cover the whole plant or just around the plant ? Could I cover each plant with say a flower pot, or do they need light in the winter. 
Any advice very welcome

• Butterfly66Butterfly66 BirminghamPosts: 736
    I haven’t heard that you need to mulch them overwinter and have never given ours any sort of winter protection. They will die back completely overwinter so don’t need any light.
     If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.”—Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,196
    Whereabouts are you?  I find they cope outside with out any special treatment, though a mulch can't do any harm.
  • I grow them in containers with no protection. I would only give them protection if there is an unusually cold spell.
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 11,168
    I have lost them during very cold winters, but usually they are fine.
    He calls her the chocolate girl
    Cause he thinks she melts when he touches her
    She knows she's the chocolate girl
    Cause she's broken up and swallowed
    And wrapped in bits of silver
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,025
    Mulching certainly won't do any harm, as it helps keep weeds at bay and improves the soil, but just put it around the plant, not over it. A thick layer of wet compost or manure isn't great for emerging soft growth. 
    Not all of them cope with severe temps  long term, as @punkdoc says.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Butterfly66Butterfly66 BirminghamPosts: 736
    edited December 2021
    Posy said:
    Whereabouts are you?  I find they cope outside with out any special treatment, though a mulch can't do any harm.
    In Birmingham, so not the coldest part of the UK but we are on top of a hill facing East so don’t think we get much “city” effect re temperatures. They survived the “beast from the east” and that was there first winter planted.

I think they can be more vulnerable overwinter in water logged soil
     If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.”—Marcus Tullius Cicero