Forum home Plants

What seed

CollareddoveCollareddove SE WalesPosts: 71
I do not exaggerate when I say I have a million seeds scattered all over my garden.  if they all germinate ..... In the recent high winds I am able to confirm they have come from some tall evergreen conifers just beyond my boundary.  Here is a photo.  I really hope they are not the dreaded Leylandii.

• CollareddoveCollareddove SE WalesPosts: 71
    Well, thanks for that lloyds56r7.  That being the case, why post?
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,450
    I doubt many of those will be viable @lesleymeyrick, which is probably just as well!
    I get the odd one from my conifer germinating in the gravel, but they're easy to pull out. I expect if you actually want any, you could just wait and see what happens, and act accordingly. 
    I think loyds is a spammer  ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• loyds56r7 said:
    Hi Lesley
    I have no idea about the seed.
    Sorry
    If i give you my bank details could you find our for me please?
    Sunny Dundee
  • Do let us know how much it costs you for the ID @Balgay.Hill  :D
  • UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 1,743
     It looks like leylandi but just found this lesleymayrick

''Leylandii are grown from cuttings, not from seed, so you will not find any seed available. Until recently, it was thought that Leylandii didn't produce viable seed, however, in 2011, James Armitage sowed seed he collected from females cones on a mature Leyland Cypress in Wisley Garden.''
  • VictorMeldrewVictorMeldrew Peak District foothills, CheshirePosts: 447
    Looks a bit like Thuja to me.
    Every now and then I like to do as I'm told, just to confuse people
  • CollareddoveCollareddove SE WalesPosts: 71
    Thank you members for your thoughts which have sent me on an internet search.  The cut/crushed foliage has a strong smell (which I personally don't like). I think now this is Thuja Plicata, which I never new, is also known as western red cedar, although not a true cedar - used extensively for wooden bee hives/roofing shingles because of its natural preservative properties.