Forum home Problem solving

So what to do with scented geranium

Should I cut it back? Take what cuttings I can? 

• pitter-patterpitter-patter Posts: 1,917
    edited December 2021
    I would cut it well back, remove all the leaves and keep it on the dry side on an indoor windowsill. Take cuttings from the new growth in early spring.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,636
    It's looking a bit droopy for cuttings. Has it got very dry (pelargoniums don't normally mind a bit of dryness) or has it taken a touch of frost? If you can get it to perk up a bit you can take all the non-flowering stem tips as cuttings.
  • Just put it somewhere warmer for now and it should recover somewhat and then you can see if any bits need trimming off. Keep it fairly dry over winter and cut it back in the spring.
    I have both pelargoniums and fuschias in my GH and last winter it was not heated at all. After the very cold spell we had, my fuschias had lost all leaves and looked dead and the pelargoniums were a sorry sight. The fuschias all recovered but I lost quite a lot of pelargoniums, though some in larger pots survived. They still aren't back to how they were, just shows the difference between plants. I keep some indoors as houseplants for safety.
  • rlewrlew Posts: 25
    JennyJ said:
    It's looking a bit droopy for cuttings. Has it got very dry (pelargoniums don't normally mind a bit of dryness) or has it taken a touch of frost? If you can get it to perk up a bit you can take all the non-flowering stem tips as cuttings.
    It got frosted a few days ago. Had snow on it for 24 hours. Would it be OK in a cold frame? 
  • Unlikely.
  • rlewrlew Posts: 25
    JennyJ said:
    It got frosted a few days ago. Had snow on it for 24 hours. Would it be OK in a cold frame? 
    I do have some cuttings of it but I'd like as many as poss so want to maximise.
    The smell is great from the Lemon Fizz / Torreno leaves 
  • My scented pelargoniums were some of the ones that survived, but sadly I can no longer small them very well :/
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,636
    JennyJ said:

I think it would be better on a cool bright windowsill indoors, like @pitter-patter said. If you cut it back, you could try putting some shoots in a glass of water. They probably won't root, but nothing lost in giving them a chance rather than throwing them straight in the compost bin.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,074
    Treat it as a houseplant over winter so it never gets too cold.  It should perk up and look attractive again  When you water it, dunk the pot in a bucket of water until no more air bubbles appear then leave to drain completely.  That way every bit of root and compost will have moisture but not be drowning.

I use the leaves of my scented pelargonium to infuse in ream to make ice cream or crème brulée.  Luscious.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Jenny_AsterJenny_Aster In the Cambs FensPosts: 527
    In the past I've had good results by letting the geraniums completely dry out. Tap off the loose dry soil around their roots, and hang them upside down in a hessian sack, in a dry frost free shed until Spring. In Spring I take cuttings, before potting up the plants after a good soaking in a bucket of water (with a few drops of fungicide added) to wake them up.  I've had some lovely 2nd year plants using this technique.
    Trying to be the person my dog thinks I am!