Forum home The potting shed

The Wild Gardener Colin Stafford-Johnson and dead hedges

13»

• a1154a1154 Sunny South Scotland Posts: 948
    Ah….no extra episodes then.
  • Simone_in_WiltshireSimone_in_Wiltshire WiltshirePosts: 168
    Indeed, episode 3 and 4 are split from episode 2. 
    Just watching it on iPlayer after I had to reset Freeview. The Southwest had Total Freeview breakdown on Thursday. 
    Being a German, after living in the UK for many years, my English is still far from being perfect, but I always do my best.
  • UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 1,701
    You'll be pleased with that 1154 and rightly so. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,273
    Looking good @a1154. I'm hoping to get a bit of progress with mine in spring when I can take down more of the pine tree. 
    Do you have anything at the back to hold it in place though, or is it just the slope keeping it secure? Mine is getting built in front of the existing posts and chicken wire/branches boundary. I'll need some wires or the odd bit of timber to keep it all in place.  If I put anything behind that, it would just collapse into the area beside the pine and the conifer. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• a1154a1154 Sunny South Scotland Posts: 948
    Hi FG, it’s actually in front of a steep ditch and stream, so if there was nothing it would end up in there. It has an old and very tatty wire fence on its other side, which looked awful and we were going to remove it, but it’s brilliant for holding the brash in place. I’m happy to have made use of it, and all the holly that had to come down.
    Also added 9 birdhouses and 7 feeders to this small bit of woodland. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,273
    I wondered if there was something there @a1154. I couldn't see anything in the photos, but I could see you had a slope in behind, and I wondered if that was enough to hold it all together, or whether you'd just been very skilled with your 'branch weaving'  ;)
    It's always good to do what you've done, rather than removing the fence etc, and having to plant it up or put another fence in. 
    Hopefully, your feeders and bird boxes will get used too. It's all good habitat anyway for birds and other wildlife   :)  
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....