Forum home Plants

Arthur de Sansal? Which red, deeper hued roses would you choose for a new south facing flowerbed?

LesleyHLesleyH Posts: 114
Hello everyone

Can I please ask for your advice?

In the spring I’m making a new south facing flower bed, about 12 x 3 1/2, running in front of the back of my house. I’d like to make this bed a rose bed of deeper hues, as fragrant as possible. Underplanting with blue, purple geraniums, salvias etc and either a few pops of yellow or white. Def. going to buy Reine de Violettes and was wondering about putting in Arthur de Sansal. Does anyone have any experience with this rose and would you recommend it? And finally, if it was up to you which roses of this colour palette would you use? Thank you so much 🙂

• BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 3,602
    Take a look at Ebb Tide. Mine was only planted in March so it’s too early to make a full appraisal but it got a glowing recommendation in a recent Which? review of roses.
  • LesleyHLesleyH Posts: 114
    BenCotto. Oh wow! That’s lovely! Definitely going in the flower bed. Thank you, I’d not heard of that before. 🙂
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 13,947
    edited November 2021
    Rosa Papa Meilland is a lovely dark red with a knockout scent. Also Deep Secret.

They are both standard hybrid teas.

Rosa Frilly Cuff is delighting some growers on the forum, but it maybe too light a red/pink for your palette.

Arthur de Sansal sounds like it might be tricky if it likes climes very warm and dry, as David Austin say. It might need extra TLC.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 18,424
    Munstead Wood from David Austin is lovely.

Papa Meilland, mentioned above is beautiful but is prone to disease.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 18,424
    Just seen that the Papa Meilland rose has been improved and is called Jubilee Papa Meilland. My daughter had the old version, it was always ill, maybe the new one is healthier.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
    Fire, thank you for the suggestions; both roses are really beautiful. Yes, re AdeS, that was a bit of a worry to me too, hence wondering if anyone had grown it. Frilly Cuff is slightly out of the colour zone, lovely as it is. It’s a shame that Papa Meilland is prone to disease as it really is a beauty. Thank you Fire
    Busy-Lizzie, I love Munstead Wood! It was one of the few roses I had at my previous house. I’ve been trying to buy it for ages but no one seems to ever have it, DA included and I read somewhere that it was no longer been grown? I hope I’ve got that wrong! Thank you for your help. I can always rely on you and Fire to help me out! X
  • floraliesfloralies Haute-Garonne SW FrancePosts: 1,789
    I have DA Falstaff but I think it may get too large in your space. Beautiful colour and scent.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 13,947
    edited November 2021
  • Hi. Other ones I've noted from the Roses thread are:
    Diamond Eyes
    Flanders
    Midsummer's night's dream

I've not grown them myself, but others seem to have success with them! Not sure about fragrance, either...