Forum home Fruit & veg

Potatoes

I started last year doing no dig gardening which in my opinion great.
So this year I am thinking of growing my potatoes under carpeting ( cutting holes in carpet). Thoughts.
Bob

• The carpet will help to suppress weeds and maybe help to keep the soil warm.  
    However, would you not need to remove the carpet at some point both to keep earthing up the potatoes and at the end of the season to replenish the beds ?
    Depends on whether you consider any advantage outweighs any disadvantage I suppose :)

• I understand you compost the top of the ground put carpet on top with holes cut out. You then plant the potatoes just below the surface. When potatoes grow they grow on top of the soil but under the carpet. You lift the carpet to harvest. 
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,504
    Great if the slugs haven't eaten them.  Wool carpets used like that tend to disintegrate.  Nylon carpets you are picking out of the ground forever more.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3

• Have a look at this. Lots of videos as I'm in my 70's it's made gardening so much easier.