Forum home Problem solving

Large clematis removal

Hi,
Wondering if anyone has any tips for removing a large Montana clematis that is overgrown and pulling down a fence? 
I pruned a lot off it during summer, but it’s sprawling over a neighbouring fence and garage (before pruning) so I think it’s time for it to go.

The base of the plant is exposed, but trapped between decking, and the fence.

any advice? TIA

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 8,570
    If you're sure you want to get rid of it, then just cut it all down back to the base. If it is not possible to dig out the roots because of where it is, you will have to use a weedkiller on the base, such as SBK Killer. Carefully applied to the cut main stem in accordance with the instructions on the tin/bottle, this should destroy the plant.
  • VictorMeldrewVictorMeldrew Peak District edge, CheshirePosts: 189
    Just a suggestion but don't do it all in one go. Just do as Lizzie says and get as far as cutting it all down to the base and then live with it for a year. It'll definitely grow back but you may then feel it's manageable and you can easily keep it in check.

Such a shame to completely destroy a mature plant that obviously loves where it is.  :)
    Every now and then I like to do as I'm told, just to confuse people
  • Just a suggestion but don't do it all in one go. Just do as Lizzie says and get as far as cutting it all down to the base and then live with it for a year. It'll definitely grow back but you may then feel it's manageable and you can easily keep it in check.

Such a shame to completely destroy a mature plant that obviously loves where it is.  :)
    Thank you :) yes taking your comments on board it would be a shame to remove it entirely.
    I have inherited it via a new home purchase and the previous owner hasn’t maintained a few things internally, let alone in the garden!
    I’ll give it a cut back down to the base and see how we get on next year.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 75,007
    If you cut it down now it's unlikely to flower in 2022, but at least you can train the new growth properly and look forward to lots of blooms in 2023  :)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh