Forum home Problem solving

Too late to plant?

Hi! we had first frost last night, and I have some plants that were delayed in being put in the ground due to works not completed. One is a new magnolia fairy white, and there is also Carex, foxglove, and calemagrostis. tomorrow afternoon willbe a glorious 10 degrees C, will any of them have a chance if I plant them tomorrow? 
I wonder are they better off in the ground where the root are less exposed to above ground temps and wind...

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,190
    They'll be fine. 
    It's really only if you have frost forecast for the forthcoming few days, that you'd need to wait a bit.  :)

If any of the plants are tiny, I'd wait too - until spring. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Only the magnolia is big really. the others are small, maybe 1L pots. I should wrap them up?
  • I was in B&Q this morning, and bought 2 Ajugas in their half price sale. Planted straight into the garden under a tree. At a huge £1 each i won't lose any sleep over them.  :)
    Sunny Dundee
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,190
    They're all hardy plants so they should be fine as long as they're filling the pots well with their roots. 
    I meant things in 3 inch pots, which are quite common when purchasing, in which case it's better to just wait until they're more mature  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Fairygirl said:
    They're all hardy plants so they should be fine as long as they're filling the pots well with their roots. 
    I meant things in 3 inch pots, which are quite common when purchasing, in which case it's better to just wait until they're more mature  :)
    Ah I see, thanks!