Forum home Problem solving

Snails and Slugs prevention idea?

• FireFire LondonPosts: 13,947
    edited December 2021
    I have frogs, and birds nesting all over and it does nothing to touch the mollusc situation. I think having log piles everywhere might well have made my situation much worse, though in a larger / rural garden things might even out.
    edited December 2021
    I'm a big fan of Bruce and the RED gardens eco project in Ireland. Here are some ideas to consider.

• At my last house I found the only way of dealing with slugs and snails was to go out at night with my head torch and pick them off the border plants. (Several hundred a night quite often !) I had previously tried just about everything else in the 32 years I was there but nothing worked as well as my eyes and hands ... and I kept the neighbours entertained 😁 I had toads and lots of thrush and blackbirds in the garden as well.
    our new place doesn’t have too much for them to attack atm and I am growing my veg in high raised planters which will help. I’m a fan of hostas, lupin and the like so will probably have to revert to entertaining my neighbours in due course ... fortunately i love to be outside 😁
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,204
    We have Spanish slugs. There are no slug proof plants once they move in. But a torch and bucket  DOES work and is worthwhile if you want to grow anything other than holly. Besides, it's peaceful out in the garden at night and my neighbours already know I'm mad....
  • I'm with @Lyn, @Fairygirl and @Fire -  encourage other wildlife but don't expect it to resolve the problem. 
    Slugs and Snails are here to stay.
  • StephenSouthwestStephenSouthwest Southwest EnglandPosts: 325
    edited December 2021
    Put up one of these - works as well as anything else: https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/round-road-sign-saying-no-slugs-568768528

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,878
    I’d like to see someone try to get round this garden with torch and snips.  Maybe ok for small town gardens. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,204
    My garden is three quarters of an acre! 
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 4,231
    I've had some success with water retaining crystals,  sprinkled on the soil around tender plants. Only works for a while, but does give shoots time to grow.
    I'm going to try clearing fallen leaves next year and removing more places to hide, just to see if it makes a difference. Charles Dowding is convinced that raised beds makes for homes for slugs and he says it's better to do without them.