Forum home Problem solving

Christmas tree

Can anyone provide advice about the Christmas tree that I have been growing in a pot for 4 years? It has always been fine and has grown nicely. However I have noticed that some of the needles have recently gone yellow about half way down. Is it on its way out?

• AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 10,345
    It maybe that it's outgrown the pot Kathyrn, but that's a guess on my part.
    If you cut the yellow section out would it be very noticeable if you had that part at the back ?
  • Thanks AnniD.
    It would make it a very odd shape! I did repot it last year and it seemed to be doing fine until recently. 
  • AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 10,345
    That's a shame. It could just be "one of those things", l don't really know to be honest. 
    Trouble is there's not much you can do about it, so maybe time to start again. 
    Is it too early to wish you a Merry Christmas?  :)
  • I'll bring it in for another Christmas and see how it goes. I'll hide the yellow bits with tinsel!   :)
    A bit early Ha! Ha! but Merry Christmas to you too!    :D
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,030
    Yellowing foliage usually indicates hunger or a shortage of a particular nutrient such as iron or magnesium.

Give the whole pot a good soaking with calcium free water to make sure it's not thirsty and then try feeding it with a liquid feed for ericaceous plants which will make iron available.  You can also give it a foliar feed of Epsom salts to provide magnesium - 15ml of salts in 5 litres of water - poured over the whole plant using the spray nozzle on a watering can.  

Don't bring it in too early as that will stress it.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw