Forum home Problem solving

Large concrete rings in veg garden

Hi everyone we’ve recently moved and have these 2 concrete things in the area of garden where we are making a vegetable area (raised beds, fruit cage etc). One of the rings has several crowded rhubarb crowns and the other one was full of weeds. Any ideas what we can do with them? We’ll need to move them as they’re right where we need a path so they don’t have to stay in the veg area but I can’t think how to use them. Too small for asparagus bed. Rhubarb seemed to be doing well so we could leave one for that. Sorry the photo is sideways!They’re about 1.2m in diameter and 1.5m tall.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,337
    edited November 2021
    The height would be useful for growing carrots as carrot fly don't fly above 50cm.  However, I think I'd use them in the main garden to grow flowers, shrubs or small trees.  They would be useful if you have any areas of poor or hard soil (eg shallow soil covering old foundations or where conifer roots have made it impossible to grow anything.)
    If you don't want them, I suspect a sledgehammer would do the job in a couple of hours.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 9,644
    The one full of weeds might have been for growing mint which can be invasive if grown in the ground. You could try growing strawberries in the other perhaps.
  • SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 1,509
    I have one set into the ground that I use to grow mint. I have another one that has horseradish in it, I assumed that was to stop the horseradish spreading, I have since learnt it is to protect the horseradish from watervoles that have eaten all the plants I planted out in the field!
  • steephillsteephill Posts: 2,478
    Perfect home for a fig tree?
  • Sledgehammer? 
  • thanks everyone for the ideas, we want to use them rather than smash them so will keep the sledgehammer as a last resort!!
  • FireFire North LondonPosts: 15,641
    You could put wicker hurdles around them if you don't like the look.