Forum home Wildlife gardening

Plants for a tricky location

dappledshadedappledshade Top of the Hill, North London Posts: 901
Hello All,

I’ve been wracking my brains for plant i ideas that would work between two tracks we are building in our front garden, out of small granite setts, between which we’d like to stick a flower bed and plant it up.
The garden is full of borders and plants that are all remaining, but we’re hoping to get an electric car one day and charge it in there too, hence why we are building the tracks.
It’s east facing with a slight southern tilt, so gets sun until just after lunchtime in summer, but would be in full shade when the car is parked there.
We don’t drive to work or for school run, so the car would be parked a lot of the time.
It also wouldn’t receive much in the way of rain, for the same reason.
Other than ophiopogon nigrescens, that grows well in my garden in full sun or in deep shade, I can’t think of anything else! 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 41,349
    Ajuga would probably be fine, and some Saxifrages, but all plants really need some moisture and/or light, even if it's minimal,  so you may need to experiment. 
    Saxifraga urbium [London Pride] grows in permanent shade, but it would struggle a bit if it had no moisture long term. I had it growing in a bank that never had any light, but it was always damp. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• dappledshadedappledshade Top of the Hill, North London Posts: 901
    That’s true.
    There's a water butt nearby, so I would have to too up the water as and when, I guess.
    Will look up that saxifrage!
    Ajuga was a bit of a thug in my last garden and I spent many hours ripping bits out, so I wouldn’t want it overtake any black grasses and other bits I have in there.
    Thanks Fairygirl ☺️
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 4,883
    If you have enough space, perhaps you could make the tracks long enough so that the car parking position could be varied - further forward for a few days, further back for the next few days.
  • dappledshadedappledshade Top of the Hill, North London Posts: 901
    That’s a really good idea and I could have a le away of about 80cm odd either end of the tracks, but no more than that sadly, and nothing sideways. The space isn’t enormous.