Forum home Problem solving

Greenhouse Fleece

Might be a silly question, but here goes - it's my first time using a greenhouse. I've got lots of small cuttings, half hardy plants mostly. I've been covering them over with 2 layers of fleece when frost is due overnight. My question is this - do I need to uncover them during the day when the temperature is below zero outdoors?

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 8,474
    Not a silly question at all @Granniegardener :)
    The temperature in a greenhouse can rise quite rapidly even at this time of year if the sun can reach it.
    Personally l would check the temperature say around 9 or 10 am and if it's at least 4 or 5 degrees and likely to remain at that or even higher during daylight hours, remove the fleece. I would replace it either as soon as the temperatures start to fall, or at least half an hour before it starts to get dark.

If you haven't already got one, l highly recommend a wireless thermometer so that you can keep an eye on the temperature during the day. Mine has a "frost warning" light that starts to flash if temperatures start to dip, similar to this one.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Technoline-WS-9132-Weather-Station-dp-B01E0RVJQC/dp/B01E0RVJQC/ref=dp_ob_title_kitchen
  • Zoe P2Zoe P2 Posts: 560
    A very useful link, Anni.  Thank you.

I have a dream that my.. children.. one day.. will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character

Martin Luther King

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 8,474
    No problem @Zoe P2  :)
    I find mine extremely useful.