Forum home The potting shed

Switching to plant-based alternatives

I saw the statistics below, and decided it was time to switch over to non-dairy milk. After trying a few, oat milk was the nicest in tea - by a lot!

Looking at land use alone, think of the countryside that could be reverted to nature if we started using plant based milk.

I'm not ready to go "full vegan" in one go, but it seems sensible to make changes where good substitutes exist. Is anyone else gravitating towards plant-based alternatives? 

May be an image of text that says Which milk should I choose Environmental impact of one glass 200ml of different milks Emissions kg Land use sq m Water use Dairy milk Rice milk Soy milk Oat milk Almond milk 00 02 04 06 00 05 10 15 Source Poore  Nemecek 2018 Science Additional calculations J Poore 0 40 80 120

• BigladBiglad East LancashirePosts: 2,067
    Not for milk but, over the last couple of years, I've used sweet potato as the main ingredient for most of my curries. Prior to that, it would normally have been chicken. We're definitely eating less meat but I doubt whether I'll ever become a fully-fledged vegetarian or vegan. Will certainly look to continue reducing our meat eating though.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 73,755
    It's complex ... the decline in starlings and some other birds, as well as small mammals in the East of England has been linked to the loss of grazing pastures which have been turned over to arable cropping ...
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,912
    We have been using plant “milks” for a long time now. I began by using Oatly, when it was owned and run by a nice quirky little company, but it got taken over and I didn’t like the sound of it so much after that:

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/sep/01/oatly-vegan-milk-sale-blackstone

So I switched to Plenish. Then by accident, when Ocado couldn’t deliver that one week, I  discovered Moma, which is sold by Sainsbugs. They are a bit different but I like them both. They both make good white sauces too.

I’m not vegan.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • B3B3 Posts: 19,409
    Can't abide the taste of cow juice😝
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 4,882
    Not so long ago the only vegetarian meals my OH would eat (apart from breakfast cereal) were beans on toast, cheese on toast, egg on toast and egg and chips. We've moved on a lot since then but I don't think veganism is on the cards. I could do it if it were just me.
  • B3B3 Posts: 19,409
    It seems strange to me that veganism is seen as a healthy option.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
    Er, I don’t think that egg is vegetarian. 🐥
  • ErgatesErgates Devon, east of ExeterPosts: 956
    Eggs, milk and non rennet cheeses count as vegetarian, but not vegan. Presumably honey isn’t vegan?
     I suppose it depends on how far you stretch out the idea of “healthy” as an option. Healthy for whom? For what? Healthy for people or healthy for animals or healthy for the planet?

If cows are raised for milk, they have to be produce a calf to get that milk turned on. That calf is then either another dairy cow or a beef animal. Either way, it has to be fed on something, as do its parents. When I was a child, the farmer kept his cows out in the fields eating grass for a good amount of time. They gave birth in the fields and kept their calves at their feet. Now, in many places, cows live indoors and eat artificially produced food. They are nothing more than meat and milk factories.

Each person must decide for themselves whether what they eat can be justified as “healthy”, for whatever that is, be it themselves, the animals in question or the planet.

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 4,882
    Most of the vegetarians that I know eat eggs and dairy. One eats eggs but not dairy (she's lactose-intolerant) and the vegans eat neither. I once worked with someone who said she was vegetarian but she ate fish, which seemed strange to me.