Forum home Plants

Sowing campanulas in November

puschkiniapuschkinia BrightonPosts: 40
I have some campanula seeds (medium, persicifolia & carpatica) and - if it's possible - I'd love to try and get flowers for this coming Summer. I'm reading conflicting advice on sowing everywhere, so I thought I'd ask here: given how mild our November is is there a chance that direct sowing now could work out, or is the light levels more than the temperature that determines when to sow? I could also sow them indoors/in a cold frame if that's more likely to work? Any advice massively appreciated :)

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 4,882
    I don't think I'd sow direct unless you have absolutely masses of free/cheap seed in which case it's worth a go with some of it. I would hedge my bets and sow half in pots/trays, and put them in a sheltered spot outside (sometimes a cold spell helps to break dormancy with hardy plant seed), then sow the rest in a more conventional way in spring.
  • puschkiniapuschkinia BrightonPosts: 40
    Super helpful, I'll try that. Two of the packets have absolutely loads of seeds so I'll direct sow some just to see what happens, then also do trays now & sow again in spring to be safe. Thanks @JennyJ:)
  • CrazybeeladyCrazybeelady WarwickshirePosts: 284
    You'll probably get flowers next year if you sow in Spring - I grew some this year that flowered. I can't remember the variety though I'm afraid! Purple ones!
  • puschkiniapuschkinia BrightonPosts: 40
    Ooh there are purple ones in my pile of seeds - fingers crossed! :D