Forum home Plants

Coleus from seed

• mchuamchua Posts: 142
    Thanks. They seem fine, and the true leaves are now outgrowing the cotyledons. It’ll be interesting to see if they’ll make it through to Spring considering m I started them at a less than ideal time of year…
    I managed to keep them going through till now 🙂 they’ve all got 2-3 sets of true leaves and the tray is looking quite overcrowded. 

Before I transplant them I just wanted to ask how many seedlings you’d plant in a single pot, as I want to grow it on as a houseplant, not outside in a border.  I reckon there’s about 30 seedlings here.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 8,530
    It'll depend on the size of the pot
    Mine get to about 18" and I plant 5 in a 12" pot

Chocolate covered cherry-

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • B3B3 Posts: 21,473
    One to a small pot and pot on as they grow. They can get quite big if they're happy.  I would just pot up the ones with interesting colours. You're not going to need 30!
    In London. Keen but lazy.
    Pete.8 said:
    It'll depend on the size of the pot
    Mine get to about 18" and I plant 5 in a 12" pot

Chocolate covered cherry-

They are stunning. Do you overwinter those?
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 8,530
    In mid-summer they start to produce flower spikes (nothing attractive). If the spike is left on the plant, it will flower then the plant will die (it just what they do naturally). So you need to remove the flower spikes as soon as they're long enough to nip off.
    By late summer there are flower spikes trying to grow everywhere and it gets too much of a chore. Around the same time the weather starts to cool and they drop their leaves and are usually dead by late Sept.
    I find them quite easy from seed. I sow in mid-March and by summer they look like in the photo.
    I'm sure you could overwinter them indoors, but I've not tried.
    Just keep nipping out the flower spike and it should continue to live.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
    Ah ok, I was going to ask whether you grow yours as an annual or perennial. I quite like the idea of keeping it as a perennial houseplant.

@B3 I’ll try to pot on all of them and give some away as 30 is quite a lot, yes! 
  • B3B3 Posts: 21,473
    Sounds like a plan @mchua. Keep the best for yourself
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,389
    They never look as good the second year … but they do strike quickly from cuttings so you can get new plants growing early. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

How tall do you normally let them get before pinch pruning?  Mine are about 18cm now.  I read that pinch pruning is to help it become bushy.  I can see some baby side shoots on the main stems.