Forum home Plants

Coleus from seed

mchuamchua Posts: 48
Hi, I’m growing coleus from seed. They’ve germinated. I was just wondering at this point should I remove the cling film or leave it on?  Also how long will it take for true leaves to appear. 

Thanks 🙏 

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 7,747
    Yes remove the cling film.
    They're very susceptible to rot especially during the early stages of their lives.
    True leaves will appear when they're ready which is down to heat and light.
    It'll be tricky to keep them going over winter due to a lack of decent light though.
    I sow mine in early March in a heated propagator and by summer they're good size plants.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 73,755
    edited 24 November
    I too would remove clingfilm now.  I don't like keeping seedlings too clammy ... it encourages rot and damping off.

Bear in mind that the colours will not be easily discernible until the plants are quite mature and are getting good strong sunlight levels ... so you will need to prick out and grow on quite a lot of plants to be sure of getting ones with good colouration ... I find most seed mixes tend to vary.  

I do as @Pete.8 does and sow mine in March/early April.  
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• mchuamchua Posts: 48
    Thank you. I guess I shouldn’t be too hopeful at this time of year then.  It’s fun trying though. I’ll just keep them on my sunniest windowsill. 
    Good idea, but a sunny windowsill gets very cold at night, so best move them away from the window at night and put them back in the morning.
    Great thanks for the tips. 
    If the compost gets dry is it best to water from the bottom as to not disturb the seedlings?
    I use a small hand-sprayer to just keep the top of the compost moist in the early stages (until they're about 1").
    Soaking all the compost does make it very wet - that's fine when they're growing well but risks damping off disease when they're really small.