Forum home The potting shed

A shelf of garden books

• Forester_PeteForester_Pete DevonPosts: 140
    Have a dedicated space for garden and outdoor books in the conservatory now, but still too much free space. Maybe Santa will be good to me this year and reduce the free space.
  • VictorMeldrewVictorMeldrew Peak District foothills, CheshirePosts: 433
    Lizzie27 said:

....really amusing ones by Helen Yemm including Gardening in your Nightie.

"Helen Yemm" - now there's a name I recognise from the past. I'm sure she used to present a gardening programme on the telly. 
    Every now and then I like to do as I'm told, just to confuse people
  • PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,829
    The first gardening book I ever had was one by C. Lucas Phillips. The Small Garden.Oddly I do not seem to have it any longer.
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,422
    I'm pretty sure I still have that one, @Palustris... it's a while since I looked at it though.  My garden has grown larger (ie I've moved from my small garden!).
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 9,212
    I only know of Helen Yemm from her stints as the Telegraph's garden agony aunt/feature writer a while back. Still miss her amusing articles. A very down to earth, no nonsense gardener with a wealth of knowledge.
    She was kind enough to advise me on a particular gardening problem I had at the time and featured it in the paper - fame at last!
  • No photo but we have a big collection...not though as many as others are showing.
    Many of ours are old editions but we still access them. They give great advice but cannot give info to the "new" varities.
    We would not be without them.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,555
    Helen Yemm did a wonderful, practical garden programme in the 80s or 90s where she took a few gardeners and helped them through a gardening season with reclaiming/renovating and just generally optimising inherited garden spaces.   It was really informative, attainable, inspiring but also relaxing to watch.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Wasn't she the one who did a series on small front gardens?
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 9,212
    I wish I'd seen them @Obelixx but was really only getting into gardening in the 80s.
  • chickychicky SurreyPosts: 10,153
    edited November 2021

Here’s some of mine 📚📚📚

The first pic is my collection of what I think of as Garden literature- not how-to books but writing about gardening related stuff, mostly by people who really know how to wield a pen as well as a shovel.

Reading The Garden Jungle by Dave Goulson at the moment - fascinating, optimistic and terrifying in equal measure….would recommend 
    The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page  - St Augustine