Forum home The potting shed

A shelf of garden books

coccinellacoccinella LuxembourgPosts: 135
I would like to see a category on this forum dedicated to books. How-to books, garden poems and garden literature books, antique books (Dr Hessayon's are soon to be just that😊). 
Would that be possible?

meanwhile, here is my shelf. 

• B3B3 Posts: 19,409
    You've just done it @coccinella 😊
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 4,882
    I feel a game of "book snap" coming along!

• coccinellacoccinella LuxembourgPosts: 135
    JennyJ said:
    I feel a game of "book snap" coming along!

O wow Jenny! I hope more people will take up the challenge. 

• coccinellacoccinella LuxembourgPosts: 135
    B3 said:
    You've just done it @coccinella 😊
    What I had in mind was a separate category along the other seven already there. But I am happy to remain here 😊
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 11,588
    I don't think the categories mean much, I'm not sure anyone uses them to find discussions. An ongoing thread over time is the useful thing.
  • didywdidyw East SuffolkPosts: 1,022
    I love this idea and was thinking the same.  This thread can be it!
    I am currently reading 'The Hidden World of Trees'.  Having read Richard Power's Overstory and learnt a bit about how trees communicate there it was brilliant to read a more factual account.  It should be compulsory reading for all town planners/building development companies/MPs.  If they knew how trees worked they perhaps wouldn't be so blase about cutting down ancient woodland.
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 3,105
    A former colleague of mine was best friends at school with Dr Hessayon’s daughter. He was, allegedly, quite a domineering bully. That has put me off his books.
  • VictorMeldrewVictorMeldrew Peak District edge, CheshirePosts: 71
    Ok I'll play  :D

Probably the most useful over the years has been Nicola Ferguson's 'Right Plant, Right Place'

Right now I’m having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I’ve forgotten this before.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 4,882
    Several snaps again!
    Some of Dr Hessayon’s Expert books come over as rather dated now, but there's still some useful material in there. I guess many of us who are of a certain age started out with those - they were inexpensive and widely available, back in the day. I think some of mine came from the supermarket. Some of my books were my Nan's - mostly the Readers' Digest ones, and the flower arranging ones (I'm more of a trim the ends and bung them in a vase of water type).

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,731
    Not got images but we do have 16 metres of book shelves, just with gardening books.