Forum home Fruit & veg

Purple sporting broccoli

Hi everyone 
I grew some purple sporting broccoli this year ready to harvest next year but we are having an extension built and they are on the way. I have managed to get an allotment a couple of weeks ago and wondered wether I could move them to their new home or wether it will kill them straight away? 

• nick615nick615 SW IrelandPosts: 877
    I wouldn't think so, as long as you take a good lump of soil round each one?
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 73,755
    I think it depends on how big it is … if it’s less than a couple of feet tall I’d give it a go, making sure you take a good sized rootball as @nick615 says. 
    I’d also secure each plant to a firm tomato cane to stop it being blown around in the winter winds. Brassicas like to be firmly planted so tread them in well. 
    Good luck 🤞 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,197
    I agree - I wouldn't fancy the chances of successfully moving mine, which are 5 or 6ft tall at the moment and are dwarfing the sprouts which are 'only' about 4ft.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Mandy63Mandy63 Posts: 17
    Thanks everyone, they are about 3ft so might just give it a go 😊
  • UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 142
    If the extension is well on the way then as far as I can see you have nothing to lose by moving them Mandy63. I agree with the others, plenty of soil, staking, and a good watering.