Forum home The potting shed

Potting a Nordic Spruce (picea abies) outdoors - advice?

2»

• cmarkrcmarkr Posts: 141
    I think it's worth asking the question why you want one? As you're looking for low purchase cost then I assume you're happy cutting it down before it gets too big to cut down without professional help. They are not suitable for urban gardens.
    There are lots of conifer cultivars that offer more aesthetic interest and won't outgrow your space.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 20,435
    I had a big garden at my old house, over an acre. In the 90s I planted 4 Christmas trees that we had had in the house. Big mistake, they grew huge, we had to saw off the bottom branches. We thought we'd planted them far enough from other trees and shrubs but they ended up growing into the more ornamental trees and shrubs and ruining them.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    The question is about keeping it in a pot.
  • AngelicantAngelicant CheshirePosts: 128
    Fire said:
    The question is about keeping it in a pot.
    The OP does say he intends to put it in the ground eventually
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,107
    It really isn't a suitable tree for a small domestic garden, as @cmarkr says, unless you put it in the ground for a few years only, and then cut down for an indoor C'mas tree. 

They grow quite rapidly to very large sizes, which is why they're used as a crop. There are huge areas of then up here for that reason  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....