Forum home Fruit & veg

Brugmansia - Trumpet Plant orange/red

Does any one else have a Brugmansia that flowers in November? See photo taken yesterday 22 Nov.  I took cuttings last year and gave one to a friend and kept one and both cuttings bloomed two flowers in July. The parent plant always flowers so late. Any clues why? Mind you it’s lovely to see it flowering now.  

• PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 2,866
    I passed a house yesterday that had a magnificent yellow one in full flower.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 7,068
    hash tag us too. Have found this with the older ones,it lives outside all summer and did flower then, just this second taken this picture!
  • So it’s not so unusual. I’ve got a yellow one grown from seed and it’s not flowered yet. I’ve bought it indoors but it’s so tall already. 
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 7,068
    Never managed to grow one from seed.this one is pretty but no smell.
  • Really easy from seed but a bit sporadic in their germinating. I’ve never had any seeds from my orange trumpet flowers, being so late flowering they have missed the bees. 
  • We have a yellow one and it flowers all year but mostly in the spring and now "ish". I took cutting of it 2 years ago and they are flowering as well. I believe for them to flower you need to have branched growth.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,443
    Time to take cuttings. Some I took a month ago already have roots.  They are sitting in large jars of water in the kitchen window.  I have to cut them down anyway to get them in the greenhouse.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,443
    This was taken in June, a double one that I got as a cutting from Germany last year. Now cossetted in the greenhouse.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • That’s a real beauty
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,197
    edited 24 November
    Which Brugmansia would be recommended for a good fragrance?  I grew a couple of different (related) Datura (D. meteloides 'Double Golden Queen' & 'Evening Fragrance') this year for fun, but very little scent, unfortunately.  I think I'd like to try Brugmansia instead next year.  Several were planted out and some kept in the GH, but no noticeable scent from plants in either location.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.