Forum home Plants

When and how to prune a Mature cherry blossom tree

Hi all,
We have a mature cherry blossom tree in the front garden which I think needs pruning but there is a lot of conflicting/confusing advice online so thought I’d try here:

I’m not sure the variety of cherry but it has predominantly pink blossom that lasts about a month in the summer. 
The tree seems to be growing more horizontally than vertically, I’m no gardener so not sure what to do. The branches are a nuisance to passers by and to next door’s cars (and makes mowing the lawn an exercise in limbo dancing.) 
I’m also not sure how healthy it is (silvery spores on the bark) but that is a question for another day. 
I’d like to prune it but unsure of what time of year, how and where to cut etc. I really don’t want to get it wrong  and harm the tree as I think it’s been here from the 60s when the house was built. 
I also don’t want to just hire a tree surgeon, so ideally hoping for advice from someone who understands this breed of tree. 
Any help will be much appreciated!
cheers!
Paul. 

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 3,844
    Plenty of time to to find out the 'how'  because 'now' is definitely not the right time to prune. :)
    It is recommended  that cherries are only pruned during the warm, summer months or they become prone to a disease called silverleaf.
  • Plenty of time to to find out the 'how'  because 'now' is definitely not the right time to prune. :)
    It is recommended  that cherries are only pruned during the warm, summer months or they become prone to a disease called silverleaf.
    Thanks!👍🏻
  • EmerionEmerion Posts: 380
    I’ve found that raising the crown by taking off an entire branch snug to the tree trunk, is the best way to fix the limbo dancing problem. If you trim bits off the lower branches, it won’t help much, and is trickier to get right. Take only the worst branch and then give yourself time to decide if another needs to come off. The biggest mistake is to think that it all needs doing at once. There is loads of advice on how to angle the cut to prevent problems. 
    Carmarthenshire 
    If at first you don’t succeed, have some cake. 
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 4,882
    I would also suggest lifting the crown a bit, but not until summer for the reasons mentioned above. I would probably start with the lowest branch on the left side in the picture and see how it looks, but it's hard to tell without being able to walk around it and look from all angles. Don't lollipop it (clip all over) if you can possibly avoid it.
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,094
    Some cherry varieties do grow more wide than tall, unfortunately... hopefully you'll be able to do a "sympathetic prune" on yours in summer which won't totally spoil its shape.  There's good advice above, and you can always post again when the time comes if you want more help.
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • Thanks guys. Great stuff! 👍🏻
  • Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 3,335

pbywater1975 .  May I ask if you have any pics of it in flower?

I don't know how to ask this tactfully .....are you sure that it is Prunus a cherry. 
    I have a feeling it may be Crataegus ...a hawthorn.????

https://www.google.com/search?q=crataegus+pink+flowers&client=firefox-b-d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwipgP-4p6_0AhVPUMAKHSDPA_wQ_AUoAXoECAEQAw&biw=1280&bih=595&dpr=1.5
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .

• pbywater1975 .  May I ask if you have any pics of it in flower?

I don't know how to ask this tactfully .....are you sure that it is Prunus a cherry. 
    I have a feeling it may be Crataegus ...a hawthorn.????

https://www.google.com/search?q=crataegus+pink+flowers&client=firefox-b-d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwipgP-4p6_0AhVPUMAKHSDPA_wQ_AUoAXoECAEQAw&biw=1280&bih=595&dpr=1.5

I’m not sure, I’ll have a look through my photos and see. My next door neighbour says it was a cherry blossom. And we do get fruit dropping off that look like cherries (not many and I’ve not eaten one though)
    I’ll get back to you.  
  • Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 3,335
    Please have a look under the tree for a fallen leaf..or maybe there is one still attached .

Or maybe there are some fruits still on the tree.
    More pics would help.

Prunus.... Cherry trees can produce cherries...which contain a single stone...all are edible but not all taste great.

Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • Please have a look under the tree for a fallen leaf..or maybe there is one still attached .

Or maybe there are some fruits still on the tree.
    More pics would help.

Prunus.... Cherry trees can produce cherries...which contain a single stone...all are edible but not all taste great.

Ok I found one which I took 1st May this year. It’s not very high resolution I’m afraid. Is this any
    help?