Forum home The potting shed

window box mini forest

FireFire LondonPosts: 11,548
I am plotting the creation of a (outdoor) window box mini village for December. I am making houses and would potentially like to find mini trees. I could use plastic or things like sea foam, sticks or lichen as a backdrop, but might investigate plants like the below. Do you know what they might be? I only need a few... No doubt I could have taken the revelant cuttings in the autumn to make the appropriate mini forest, but hey ho.

They do need to be really small for a regular window box - 20cm or under for December.

Thanks for your thoughts.

• Some of the small Hebes might work. There is one that has cypress like foliage.
    Sunny Dundee
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 3,839
    If it is only for a short while, then suitable shoots from evergreen trees should last long enough if outside in the cold and you wouldn't have to worry about finding homes for them afterwards :)
  • LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 3,473
    I was just going to say the same as @Buttercupdays
    I have endless yew, holly and (what I think is) Lawson's cypress seedlings but they're all a bit small for your purposes, except one yew which is probably a bit big. I usually just bin the babies, but maybe I should pot them up for you for next year!
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 132
    Is it going to be permanent or just for the month of December Fire?
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 11,548
    Just for December.
  • UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 132
    I agree with LG and Buttercupdays, cutting pushed into the soil would be great and won't cost anything. Even bare twigs would do the job. 
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 4,877
    The right-hand circled one looks like Juniper Blue Star (there are other similar ones though). I suspect those are all just very young plants and would be too big to re-use by next year. If you know anyone who has conifers, small-leaved holly, maybe even evergreen euonymus that you could get some clippings from, those would do the job. Maybe also bare twigs sprayed silver/gold/white if you're looking for more of a fantasy effect.
  • LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 3,473
    What about little heathers? Some with the more discreetly sized / coloured flowers could look like conifers.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 11,548
    Thanks for your ideas.