Forum home The potting shed

Garden Mentors

• UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 740
    That sounds interesting coccinella and one that I'd like to contribute to. 
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 30,417
    Geoff Hamilton 
    Devon.
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 4,529
    I learned the basics from my father and uncle on their Allotments.  I have learned much since from books and by trial and error.  I too have many of the expert books but when I look at them now they're about promoting chemical sprays.  Not surprising when you remember that Dr Hessayon worked for a chemicals company.  
    Things have changed a lot in the 60 years ( I started very young). We have pests and diseases my father never encountered.  I grow crops he never grew   Lemons,  fennel,  oriental greens,  Asparagus.  These were exotics,  only grown by  professionals in  walled gardens in his day.
    AB Still learning

• 2000GTV2000GTV Martina Franca, Puglia, southern ItalyPosts: 55
    I used to help my dad in the garden when I was a little girl so he was my inspiration. Another fan of Geoff Hamilton here and there was a Yorkshire gardener called Geoff Smith who was very enthusiastic and engaging.     
    Love living in Italy but a Loiner at heart 
    I agree Allotment Boy, things have changed a lot in the past 60 years. When dad died my younger brother and myself had the task of clearing his shed. Among the terracotta plant pots of all sizes, old tools, garden string etc there were 2 large drums of chemicals of some sort. We hadn't got a clue what it was and daren't tip it down a drain so I took them to a chemical plant near Derby and asked them to dispose of them for us. Surprisingly they did and we were very grateful. I'll wager they wouldn't be so easy to get rid of these days. 

I remember Geoff Smith 2000GTV and agree he was very engaging and quite a gentleman, knowledgable too.  
  • coccinellacoccinella LuxembourgPosts: 138

Uff said:

That sounds interesting coccinella and one that I'd like to contribute to. 

I can ask the moderators on a new link. See what they say.
  • coccinellacoccinella LuxembourgPosts: 138
    Hostafan1 said:
    Geoff Hamilton 
    Geoff Hamilton ... I remember his was one of the first tv programmes I watched when I was learning English in the 80s. He came across as a very warm person and he was easy to understand.  :) "and give it a really good watering" 
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 17,478
    My Mother in law started me off when we bought our first house. No internet then but I watched Gardeners World and OH gave me Food from Your Garden and an encyclopaedia of plants.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
    It seems most of us have similar mentors to encourage us down the gardening path. 

After my apprenticeship in the weeding dept dad moved me on to side shooting the tomatoes. He used to have two huge glasshouses and in the middle of them, there was a bit of a shed that housed the old fashioned boiler that was fuelled with coal. The huge pipes ran around the sides of both glasshouses.

In winter only one of the houses was used but to go in there on a frosty winter's morning was lovely and when the tomatoes had germinated and started to grow the smell was divine. Even now when I rub a tomato stalk the smell takes me right back to my childhood. 

Does anyone else have any early garden memories, good or bad? 
  • Weeding the gravel path with a broken-bladed table knife.

On the other hand us 4 kids were given a small plot each and I ended up with all 4. I used to sell strawberries for pocket money. (My 2 sisters sold guinea pigs).