Forum home Garden design

Brand new garden from scratch. Any good TV programmes to watch?

Hi all, I have just joined the forum. I am very fortunate to have bought a barn to convert. It is surrounded by woodland but has a clear area front and back to convert to garden. The ground is very clayey, in fact it was a former brick yard and I think it may have been imported! I hope to make a traditional garden, and large pond,  merging into the trees.  I wondered if any one could suggest any good TV or YouTube videos to watch to help me plan. 

Sorry if this has been asked before.

Thanks 

Old Man Oakley 

• FireFire LondonPosts: 14,111
    Welcome to the forum. I'm not sure this will be of practical use, but this programme is currently on iPlayer and follows the creaton of a wild garden in a clearing in woods. They create ponds and plan out planting areas. If nothing else, it might be inspiring.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 18,483
    Look for videos by Geoff Hamilton or Alan Titchmarch. There are lots of YouTube videos but it would take a while to look at them all. 
    https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+make+a+garden+youtube&oq=how+to+make+a+garden+youtube&aqs=chrome..69i57j0i22i30l9.17642j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 14,111
    It's not excatly what you are looking for, but there is a series called "Big Dreams, Small Spaces" presented by Monty Don. I believe you can rent it now and is on Netflix. There are several seasons. Some of the programmes create gardens and allotments from scratch, many create new flower beds and ponds. It mostly concerned with design, and from that aspect I think it could be interesting. A lot of the series use to be on Youtube and Daily Motion, but have been taken down for copyright reasons.

It will be interesting to create a garden on a brickyard - keep us posted.
  • My childhood garden was just outside the brickfield fence. My mum grew great roses, raspberries and blackcurrants, rhubarb and a border that included delphiniums and Tanacetum daisies, so they should work well for you :)