Forum home Plants

Climbers for pergola question

coccinellacoccinella LuxembourgPosts: 135
My OH has promised me a wood pergola (about 3m x 3m x 2.50m height) facing southwest and in a fairly sheltered corner. Would it look strange if I planted one grapevine (Brant) growing up on one post and a climbing rose on the other? I am trying to have a shaded area in summer but would like some colour in late spring and in autumn. Thank you.

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 32,749
    Hello coccinella - I see we share the same name I do not think that your choice of plants would look strange at all. There are also other pretty climbers that would give you scent - such as jasmine - and a winter flowering clematis of the cirrhosa type which would extend your period of interest.
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 7,058
    Hubby made one similar this year,grape on one corner, scented rose on another, wisteria on 3rd happy to provide pictures
  • coccinellacoccinella LuxembourgPosts: 135
    oh yes please! Nanny Beach. I can only have plants on the front posts because the back ones do not have access to soil and pots dry out too quickly. The structure will use an existing decking area. So vine and scented roses! Thanks.

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 7,058
    We are 10 minutes from the sea, opposite the South Downs,in the sunniest SE corner. The grape is in the ground everything else is in pots,so yes, watering twice a day.course, the grape has died back now. We've added clematis and a honeysuckle in the left corner, semi shade. I bought hubby the vine last July 2020 it was a foot tall,it reached about 8 feet this year, right up the top,2 nice bunches of grapes. Scented rose,and dwarf wisteria, scented of course. Then we add pots in the summer when both sides had hanging baskets nice place to sit sheltered for breakfast
  • coccinellacoccinella LuxembourgPosts: 135
    It is gorgeous. Thank you.