Forum home Plants

Splits in Pleached red robins

IronSquirrelIronSquirrel London usuallyPosts: 56
So the red robins I had previously diagnosed with ‘having trouble getting used to being planted, pleached and in slightly clayish soil underneath the compost Have these as well, 

I’m worried that there’s risk that ice can split it, or that it’s a sign they’re not grown right. I’ll find the pic of them in their glory in a few min
“One touch of nature makes the whole world kin”
Trolius & Cressida

• IronSquirrelIronSquirrel London usuallyPosts: 56

Trolius & Cressida

Trolius & Cressida

Trolius & Cressida
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 73,715
    edited 21 November
    I'd not be at all happy with that staking ... they're strapped far too tightly and the stakes are too close to the trunks ... there should be a gap to allow for growth and a little movement.  Can't really see what's happening with the splits because of the staking. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 73,715
    edited 21 November
    On a closer look ... in the second picture it looks as if the tree trunk is actually swelling around the stake.
    No wonder the trunk is deforming and splitting.

Is that black hosepipe it has wrapped around it? 🤯

This gives some idea of how to stake pleached trees using proper tree ties and spacers

https://instahedge.com/support/hedge-care/tree-staking/
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 4,877
    I agree, it looks as if the tight ties have damaged the bark.
  • UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 132
    I agree with both, it's quite clear where the ties have done the damage. 
    I’ll ask if they’ve been told if the stakes are a short term measure. Also not sure if it’s in those photos , but the one and only actual store bought tree strap … is the one thing that just hangs lose around a stake not being used AS a tree strap
    Trolius & Cressida
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 4,877
    I think pleached trees might need to be tied in to a permanent framework.
    A properly-fitted tree tie should look something like the pic in this page  https://www.ashridgetrees.co.uk/buckle-and-strap-ties , not too tight around the trunk, with a "stopper" between the trunk and the stake so they don't touch each other, with a buckle or fastening that can be loosened gradually as the tree grows, and with the fastening against the stake not the tree trunk.