Forum home Problem solving

What is the best use of summer Tomato grow bag compost where the toms had blight

After a disappointing experience growing toms in grow bags - can I salvage the compost even though all 6 x Tomato plants eventually all had blight? 

What is the best use of summer Tomato grow bag compost where the toms had blight 4 votes

Absolutely not throw it away to avoid spreading blight
25%
Eustace 1 vote
Use as compost to build up uneven lawn
0%
Use in raised vegetable and fruit bed as soil enhancer
75%
Blue OnionStephenSouthwestkippsattacks 3 votes
Other ideas - please suggest
0%

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 4,883
    Mulch on the borders. Any of the other options too, except throw it away. Just don't use it where tomatoes are going to be grown (and possibly other related plants - I'm not sure how species-specific the blights are).
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 3,105
    The pathogens over winter on living plant tissue and are spread by the wind the following season. It is quite safe to compost your infected plants and to reuse the compost. However, spent of nutrients, the compost will have little goodness so add it to your compost bin or spread it over the soil.
  • RedwingRedwing Posts: 1,013
    Mulch borders or use as addition to a mixture for pots so long tomatoes or potatoes will not be grown in the pots.
    Based in Sussex, I garden to encourage as many birds to my garden as possible.
  • mwaltermwalter Posts: 11
    Many thanks Jenny & Ben, I appreciate your responses.  I do not have many borders, so I will use on the grass to level up the surface (unless you tell me that is not wise). I will also pop some into the compost bin.  Thanks again. 👍🙂
    Thanks Redwing, I will also use as additional mixture for pots, but just not today as it is freezing out there!  🥶
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 4,883
    It'll be fine on the grass. I've done the same with spent compost from tomato tubs, hanging baskets and other bedding in pots. It's particularly good if, like me, you have sandy soil that can use every bit of extra organic matter it can get, but it won't do any harm on heavier soil (even though the books tell you to use a reasonably high proportion of sharp sand in lawn topdressing).
    Thanks Jenny, that’s Saturday morning sorted! 👍