Forum home Problem solving

Black ooze from walnut tree trunk base

I've noticed a black ooze from walnut tree trunk base. I think it's been like this for quite a while, possibly over a year - I've not been paying much attention until I realised that it's probably not a good thing to be happening. Should I be concerned and is there anything I can do to help? I'd hate to lose this tree.

• floraliesfloralies Haute-Garonne SW FrancePosts: 1,485
    Hello @tomCByCcsD3 welcome to the Forum. This looks like a bacterial infection, maybe caused by some damage to the tree, have you strimmed up to the tree?
    Others will come along and give you more advice who know a lot more about trees than I do.
  • Thanks @floralies

I've not strimmed near the tree. We've cleared some plants from around it by hand recently, but it was like this before we started that. We have 4 cats and also visits from foxes and squirrels so maybe one of those has caused it? I'd be interested if there's anything we can do to treat it if anyone has suggestions.
  • UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 132
    Just doing a bit of research and it could be something called bacterial wet wood, sometimes called slime flux. If you Google it might give you the answer but solving the problem is another matter. 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 73,715
    It’s my thought that sometimes bark splits following irregular growth due to erratic weather during the growing period eg a dry spring followed by a wet summer.  

The splits are an opportunity for bacteria to get in, but there’s nothing I’m aware of that we can do about it other than to give the tree the best growing conditions we can, and then hopefully the tree will heal itself without too much permanent damage. 🤞 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh