Forum home Plants

Overwintering a Fuchsia Standard

Hello - I purchased an established fuschia standard in May, and have recently brought it into the greenhouse to overwinter. I’m not sure if I should prune it or not before leaving it for the rest of the winter. Could anyone offer me some advice please as I seem to get conflicting information on the web. Thank you. Brian. 

• Do you know which Fuchsia it is ?  There are hardy and less hardy varieties and how you deal with them depends on that and your location too of course :)
  • It’s an “Elma Standard”. I was told by the garden centre they were hardy but the one I bought last year died in the winter frosts!  Hence I’m bringing my new one into the greenhouse in a container this year. We live in Surrey England but in the countryside ( not a town)  Thanks for any advice. 
  • AngelicantAngelicant CheshirePosts: 82
    I don't prune my fuschias before winter. Hardy ones are left where they are planted and non hardy are tucked in next to the fence under/behind shrubs for a bit of protection just in their pots then trimmed up in spring when new growth starts.
  • Thank you very much. i do the same with my regular fuschia plants, but this one is a "Standard" variety with a very upright stem and growing habit (the stem is about 90cm before the flowering crown ( another 30cm) of the fuchsia. It's about 120cm tall in a container. ( Still fully in flower!). I can't determine whether it should be cut back or not over winter, or just left alone with a light trim. ( I tend to cut my regular non hardy fuschias back by two thirds before overwintering). I should have bought two plants and left one and cut back the other!!
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 4,877
    I think you prune the head of a standard as if it were a bush, leaving the "trunk" alone. I would leave it until spring like I do with bush fuchsias - the old growth provides a bit of protection, but I don't have a greenhouse so mine are all hardy varieties. Unless the greenhouse is kept warm (not just frost-free) yours will go dormant and lose its leaves. At that point you could trim it a little if it's taking up too much space.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 4,877
    Google came up with this, which suggests autumn pruning for overwintering under glass, with a diagram showing how to prune http://www.salfordboltonfuchsiasociety.co.uk/fabulous/g_standb.htm
    It also covers what to do in spring (regular pinching out of the new growth to make  the head bushy so you get more flowers).
  • Thank you so much Jenny - and to the Salford & Bolton Fuschia society! I never saw this when trying to research - clearly shows I am no good at researching! All my questions ( and more) are answered. very much appreciated.