Forum home Problem solving

What has been at my lawn?

I have noticed the odd patch here and there before but this morning my lawn looks as though I have been over it with a turf remover! Something has taken up the top layer of the turf and left a complete mess. I have often suspected foxes, possibly digging for grubs etc? Has anyone else experienced this if so what can I do to prevent them digging up the entire lawn? I have seen this previously in public areas and what ever it is can make a lawn vanish overnight!! HELP PLEASE!!

• UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 145
    Badgers can make a heck of a mess in a garden meomye, are there any around about where you live that could be the culprit? Any chance of a photograph?
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 8,477
    We have 2 spots in our lawn where foxes have been digging for chafer grubs, but it's only in those areas. More widespread damage may be caused by badgers perhaps. 
    A photo would help if possible  :)
  • ErgatesErgates Devon, east of ExeterPosts: 963
    I’m guessing badgers, have seen damage in friends gardens, looked like a rotavator had been at the lawn. We don’t get any badger damage on our extensive grass areas. There are a couple of setts nearby, but we put out a snack of peanut butter sandwiches every night, the badger turns up, eats it’s supper and clears off! Took over this practice from the previous owners, and have continued for the past sixteen years.
  • MeomyeMeomye Posts: 712
    Thanks for replies everyone. I am not aware of any badger activity around here but it does resemble rotavation demolition. I am sorry I can not arrange pics at the moment. I have just seen a few crows in that area but I am guessing it wasn't their handy work and that they are just enjoying it all being turfed up for them! I don't like putting any food out because we have had rats before when I put out bird food.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 8,477
    If it is badgers, there's a photo on this link here which might confirm it, also a load of information. 
    https://www.lawn-tech.co.uk/lawn-care-guide/wildlife/badgers/