Forum home Problem solving

Potential brown rot on established apple tree? Help!

Hi 

I moved into my property four years ago which has an apple tree in front garden. It had what looked like a small amount of black plastic wrap at the bottom of the trunk which had been tightly tied. Didnt think anything much of it as it didnt look too bad and had abundance of apples every year. Over time the plastic (about 10cm high tight to the trunk) had started to fray so I removed it. 
Since doing so the tree seems to have developed what I believe is brown rot. Does anyone know if that would have been why the plastic wrap was on the tree or was it just a coincidence OR does anyone know how to treat it? 
I have kept it cut back which seemed to work last year, well brown rot wasnt as bad, but this year another bad year. 
Thank you in advance 

• steephillsteephill Posts: 2,194
    The plastic may be the remnants of a grease band to deter codling moth but I don't think it has anything to do with brown rot. https://www.rhs.org.uk/disease/brown-rot describes brown rot and its treatment.

• ndaviesndavies Posts: 2
    Thanks for the help! Ill have a look at what codling moth is too. 
    I will make sure everything is cut right back and then potentially net the tree incase there are any other wounds inflicted by birds over winter causing it to worsen.